Monday, May 27, 2024

It’s deeper but just as transparent

It's funny how social media works. I research and curate some posts to make collages, but they get no traction. However, a random snapshot from Wikipedia can go viral. I was reading about Payal Kapadia, who made history at the Cannes Film Festival by winning the Grand Prix for her film All We Imagine As Light. The title reminds me of Anthony Doerr's novel All The Light We Cannot See. The titles of all of Kapadia's films are poetic. I love such titles that have an underlying melancholy and intrigue. I planned to go to Cannes when I was living in Luxembourg as it was not far. A train could take just a few hours. Unfortunately, it was peak Covid, and the festival was canceled, so I could not go. Alas! But I managed to go to the Berlin Film Festival (which was right before Covid), where I met Baradwaj Rangan. These festivals are a little overhyped in the media. They are normal, like any other festival.

Anyhow, this was the long weekend, and as always, I had nothing planned. I wanted to finish so many things, but I did nothing much except workout and a little reading—the only things that keep me sane these days, or else I go into cycles of negativity. I wanted to go for a haircut, but the place I usually go to, I am always a bit skeptical as to how it will turn out. Every time there is someone new, I don't like it much. They either cut too short or don't cut enough. So, I decided to find another place. I randomly took the light rail (metro) to the south of the city and walked around the neighborhood to find a hair salon. When I was walking, I saw this interesting art piece. It is a little jarring to see shoes over a bowl of food (like how we never put shoes over books), but what inspired me was the quote by Alan Chong Lau written below it. "Who we are is not what we wear or eat; it’s deeper but just as transparent." It is so thoughtful, and it uses contrasts to make the point. I love finding these random things in the city which I try to put on Instagram.

So, I got a decent haircut (50% cheaper than the usual price I usually pay at the other place). The other thing is that I have started coloring my hair. My hair had some sections of grey hair even when I was in my early 20s, but now, they are substantially more. It does not look good because it is not uniform, and when the hair grows, it flows to the birthmark on my face. So I color my hair black. When my mother sees it, she always asks have you colored your hair and I tell her no. I tell her I had a haircut, haha. She can immediately notice it.

As it is the time of social media, I see all the reels and stories of people traveling. Some days, I want to travel the world; some days, I feel it is all fine, and I don't want to go anywhere. Try to find happiness in your daily moments. As I write this, I think of Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge. In the film's iconic ending, Bauji lets go of Simran and tells her to live her life, "Jaa, Simran, Jaa. Jee le apni zindagi." Earlier in the film, he tells her the same words when she takes his permission to go to Europe. Contrast this with Raj and his father when he seeks permission to go on the same trip. Raj failed his examinations, so he said he would not go on the trip and would join the office with his father. "Main apni puri jawani jee chuka hun," he says. His Pops immediately stops him and says to never utter the same words again. Pops spent all his life working and never got a chance to enjoy his youth, so he wants Raj to live it up for him. Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge is also a story of immigrant fathers and their sacrifices. The one who moved away from his home and never traveled in twenty years. The other spent all his life working, did not marry again, and raised a child. Anybody not born into a family of privilege can identify with these struggles. This also reminds me of an article by Manu Joseph, who wrote, "Indians scorn 'dynasties' but are raising pampered children."
Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge might feel a bit dated now, but it is still immensely moving. The film acknowledges Lajjo's sacrifices. When she takes her jewelry and gives it to Simran and Raj and asks them to elope, she does it because she does not want her daughter to make the sacrifices she did. I also think of the sagacious Chutki, about whom I had written a post years ago.

As always, I segue into random topics. I will come back soon. 

Dialogue of the Day:
"Aadatein agar waqt par na badli jaayein toh zarooratein ban jaati hai."
—Chutki, Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge

2 comments:


  1. Western social networks are not available to me. I live in a country that is under many sanctions. I also don’t have the opportunity to travel, even within my own country. Books, good films and your blog are actually the only joys in my life. From time to time I also read Baradwaj Rangan's blog. But I like yours blog better. And I regularly re-read your articles about Bhansali’s films. But I also really like notes about various random things like this one. Thank you for your powers of observation, for your ability to subtly and deeply feel many things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Anna. I really appreciate your kind words. I wish things get better for all of us.

      Delete

Post a comment