Friday, September 20, 2019

Article 15 on Film Companion

The last few days have been like a dream. A few days ago, I got an email from Anupama Chopra to write something for Film Companion, similar to the post on Dil Chahta Hai. I just could not believe it. Then, I spoke to her on a call. It was surreal talking to her because I have been following all her work for more than fifteen years. Everyone knows her. Even my mother who does not watch films knows her from television. I asked Anupama how did she think of reaching out. So, the post on Dil Chahta Hai was tweeted by the super awesome Baradwaj Rangan (funnily, I had no intention of tweeting it myself). He showed it to Anupama and told her that Film Companion should do something like this. She said instead of asking someone else, why don't they ask me to write for them. That is why she reached out. I could not believe it. My first article was published this week on Film Companion. I have been writing posts here for quite a while because I absolutely love Hindi films. I don't consider myself a good writer yet as I don't have that literary flair. I am more an observer of films. Someday, I wish to reach the point where I can call myself a good writer and write something that is beautifully moving like the Modern Love stories in The New York Times. There are so many better writers out there but I feel they don't write. I have tried to not give it up although this year has been a little slow even by me because of some personal life changes which made writing a bit difficult. I have got to know so many wonderful and brilliant people because of this blog and I can say it has changed my life in many ways. I got messages from three of the best critics in India right now. Let's see what the future holds. The link for the article is given below. 
Other Reading:
The post on Article 15 on Film CompanionLink

Dialogue of the Day:
"Koshish karne walon ki kabhi haar nahi hoti."
—Sohan Lal Dwivedi

13 comments:

  1. Oh my god! This is huge...So happy for you. Congratulations Pankaj... Keep writing...😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Veena, for your constant motivation. It really means a lot :)

      Delete
  2. HEY PANKAJ, I LOVE YOUR WRITING. I AM SO INSPIRED BY READING YOUR ARTICLES ON SANJAY LEELA BHANSALI FILMS. I AM HAPPY FOR YOU THAT YOUR ARTICLE ON ARTICLE 15 HAS BEEN PUBLISHED ON FILM COMAPNION. JUST WANT TO MENTION ONE CORRECTION THE DIALOGUE OF THE DAY "KOSHISH KARNE WALO KI KABHI HAAR NAHIN HOTI" IS A POEM WRITTEN BY SOHANLAL DWIVEDI BUT IT IS VERY COMMON MISCONCEPTION THAT IT WAS WRITTEN BY HARIVANSH RAI BACHCHAN. BEST OF LUCK FOR THE FUTURE WRITING STUFF. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pratik,

      Thanks so much. I had checked multiple sources and all gave conflicting information. I have corrected the name to Sohanlal Dwivedi. Thanks for this :)

      Pankaj

      Delete
  3. Congratulations Pankaj, it was a matter of time and we all knew that you were meant for a bigger base of readers...way to go...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi pankaj, i am so glad for you that you finally got a better platform for your writing. It must have been a huge day to get a call from anumpama herself. This incident reminds me of an Einstein who was a patent clerk but with dedication and his love for physics, re-established the foundation of Physics by his breakthrough THEORY OF GENERAL RELATIVITY.

    You might think i am exaggerating, but you're truly an Einstein. From the moment i first read your essay, i fell in love with hindi movies again.

    I would also like to appreciate you that without any substantial validation for your work, you kept writing and didn't give up. 10 years it has been yes?

    Now that you have started getting recognition, i hope you have a new spark and new enthusiasm to write better.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Shivam. These are big words. I don't think I deserve them. Your wishes matter a lot. Will try to keep writing. :)

      Delete
  5. Yeaay...this is such a brilliant opportunity to reach out to so many like us! Congratulations and looking forward to read you on Film Companion. Much deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kudos to you! This must be enthralling! Beautifully written :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there! I used to read your blog regularly a few years ago when I was more into Bollywood films, and randomly thought I would pop over to see what I had missed, and saw this entry. I just wanted to say congratulations!

    The only reason I stopped visiting so often was because I feel like the last few years of Bollywood films, especially the last two, have been so bland. I am a big fan of the cheesy, over-the-top romcoms, but everyone seems to be putting out serious dramas. Of course, those can be good, too, but I miss the amazing dance numbers and songs. Even all of my favorite music directors have stopped working or are putting out subpar music! All this is to say that my not coming around as often has nothing to do with your writing, which is excellent and enjoyable and always. Again, congratulations, and good luck!! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Always feel happy when come back randomly. I completely get your point. I have felt the same. Last few years, they have been making biopics. I also miss the larger-than-life and colorful romantic movies. I wish they get back to them soon. :(

      Delete

Post a comment