Monday, September 28, 2009

Anti - Climax...

What's your Rashee? turned out to be a big big disappointment. It was one of my most awaited films of the year (others include Wake Up Sid and Ajab Prem Ki Gajab Kahani ). I have never watched a movie on first day first show. I woke up early on Friday, checked out the listings for DT Cinemas and off I went feeling so excited. I came to know that the movie was 22o minutes and I was like 'not a problem as long as it is good, the more the better'. Little did I realize that watching the movie would be not less than a herculean task. The movie adapted from the novel Kimball Ravenswood based on a Gujarati boy Yogesh (Harman Baweja) who reluctantly agrees to marry in order to bail out his philandering brother's debts. He decides to meet 12 different girls each of a different rashi all played by Priyanka Chopra in the hope of finding true love. So each meeting is shown with Yogesh and the girl of a differnt rashi which falls into the same old cliched "what are your hobbies" and a song for each of the rashi. The movie is so long that it will surely put down even the most ardent Ashutosh fans (like me) to sleep. The ridiculous explanation for the same faces, the even more ridiculous ending, the useless subplots of the detective and Yogesh's Uncle's extramarital affair, and the really bad songs add to the boredom of the film. Priyanka might have gotten into a Guinness book, but none of the characters she plays are able to evoke an emotional connection except for Anjali (the first one, and that too very little). The fake accent of Sanjana and the stupidity of that Su chee girl (forgot her name) are irritating. Harman is like able but he doesn't have the commanding screen presence, which makes the viewer notice the faults of the film even more. This film could have bee so better had some proper editing been done and the screenplay made a bit logical. Though I liked the choreography of the song Manunga Manunga (irrespective of the fact that it reminded of that dud Love Story 2050), Aaja Lehrate (hip hop is fab) and also Chehre Jo dekhe Hain :)
I have loved Lagaan and Jodhaa Akbar and Swades is my all time favourite movie ( still cry when I watch that scene where Mohan meets the poor family or the one where he sees the boy selling water for 25 p at the platform) but What's your Rashee? will be Ashutosh's blunder. I genuinely felt so bad for the film :( :( Hope his next turns out to be fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment