Sunday, July 7, 2019

Long Time No See

I was thinking that earlier I used to write on different topics from daily life in general. Somehow, today, I started missing having that conversation. These days, I feel like I have nothing to write on or when I have something, I forget what I was supposed to write on. They say in The Lunchbox that we forget the things if we have no one to tell them to. I guess that is another reason that I have not much to share here as I have noticed a general decline in interest in reading here. Also, there are other things which I am going through but am not able to share here for the fear of being judged. In Jab We Met, Geet says, "Kitni badi bevkoof thi main," when she thinks about her life when she was young and did what whatever her heart told her. I feel the same if I write about them. Showing vulnerability is a difficult trait these days. 

Life has changed a lot in the last few months. It has been quite eventful. I visited India in January of this year for sister's wedding. I met all the relatives after almost seven years. I was a little excited to meet them but you know I felt no one was as excited to meet me. My cousins and others, everybody formed their own groups and they were busy on their own. Almost all of them have got married and are busy in their lives. Once you are away from people, they learn to live without you. It was the instance I actually realized that a lot has changed. I did not enjoy the trip as much as I had hoped I would. I really started missing Seattle though I have nothing exciting there as well, except for my routine life. Not many friends are left in Delhi. The ones that are left were not there. Additionally, my family has moved to a new house and it was the first time, I saw the house. Even that felt new. We had been staying in the old house for nearly thirty-five years and I saw that old house from the outside. I felt that some part of my childhood memories is gone forever. I almost had tears in my eyes when I came back because the trip changed everything. People. Friends. Houses. And my own self. And, there is so much pressure to get married now. I don't see myself in that stage but the everyday pressure is a lot. Really.

I completed five years at my work. Five years is a long time. It has not been easy for an introverted person like me as every day requires a lot of stepping out of comfort zone. When I joined, I thought I won't survive for five weeks. For my future, I have taken another risk by moving to a slightly different role. It involves a lot of traveling and it is making me scared again on whether this thing will work for me. But I will do my best. I really hope the reason I took this works out. 

I was talking to someone recently about the craving for physical desire. This was not a cheap conversation. I have been reading and thinking about it as well. I feel that nature has created this whole aspect in its living creations that they crave someone else's body. Desire is such a strong feeling that it makes one weak. The whole act of sex is beautiful in its conception. Two bodies form the most intimate bond. It is fascinating to me. Seeking out mates. Pheromones. 

In terms of movies, there have been so few movies this year that I want to write on. They are all making biopics these days. And, the ones I end up watching are really overhyped. Like Mard Ko Dard Nahi Hota. I miss watching a good romantic melodrama with the colors and the emotions. There is no excitement at all given the kind of movies that are coming in the remaining part of this year. Also, not many people are reading my posts of movies. At least two years ago, there were many hits even on average movies. But these days, the number of hits is so low which further reduces the motivation to write. Of course, it also points out that my writing quality has declined as well :( I almost decided to not write anymore. What is the point? Crippling self-doubt is the worst feeling. I had hoped to do so much with writing but alas! People are not reading posts of unknown bloggers these days.

Sharda Ugra wrote a piece on being single by choice. It is written wonderfully. Do read it. 

I was feeling a bit lonely today. I did not know whom to talk to so wrote this. Might delete this later as I said earlier, vulnerability is not easy these days. Hopefully, someone will understand. Will write more later. 

Prayers and wishes for everyone. 

Dialogue of the Day:
"Tum to life me bahut serious they. Kya fayda hua. Bahut bade problem me toh tum bhi phas gaye na."
—Geet, Jab We Met

26 comments:

  1. I think you should read THE LITTLE PRINCE. If you have already read it do read it again. Everytime you read it, it has something new to unfold.

    Being an introvert myself I understand how bad the pain is of getting out of your comfort zone and face the world everyday. You have survived 5 years and it shows courage more than anything else. Don't be hopeless. I don't know how to tell you that everything gonna be fine eventually because right now you might not be able to see the light at the end of this labyrinth. I would like to just leave a quote from Stpehen Chobosky's book THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER.
    "So, I guess we are who we are for alot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them. But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Shivam, for your message here on Twitter. Some days, it feels like to give up everything but hopefully, I will get better. I love The Perks of Being A Wallflower so much. I will take some inspiration from it.

      Delete
  2. So on point and resonated with all the feels being a soul crushed between continents and trying to navigate those invisible distances. Don't let yourself be sucked out into those pressurized norms, it's all what society has created, when things go awry then they leave.
    I love your posts so much, and the details are so well thought of and described that it gives a whole new depth to the movie.
    I was in awe of Gully Boy, watched it a number of times and read through so many reviews and your blog gave so much more! One time when I lost the tab from my phone, had to frantically search through the history to retrieve. And glad I found and memorized the name of the blog..haha..
    The viewership decline sometimes is because of the plethora of distraction the world is filled with. Your creativity doesn't need to suffer because of that. Analyzing those feels from movies and bringing them to words is a rare gift! Don't let it go.

    Since you are a movie person, do *watch* "The Little Prince" as mentioned by Shivam :D
    Also, Shoplifters, if you haven't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Swati, thank you so much. Really appreciate your kindness to comment here. Some days are a bit low, but your words made me feel better. WIll try to not give up and watch all the movies you recommended :)

      Delete
  3. I wrote this when I was feeling down - I understand why you might be feeling the way you feel - but you should write because you have something to write - not because there is someone to read.

    https://jondoe297svj.wordpress.com/2012/05/05/failure/

    Keep creating content and the right kind of people will flock to your blog.

    Follow "Last Cigarette" channel on YouTube and do listen to their music uploads and the comments / unique community they have created.

    Many introverts follow your blog too - they're just silent readers. :)
    Two last quotes for you (keep writing please - your reviews are gems I keep sharing with my friends)

    1. I momentarily lose my ability to give and close up. And here’s where the trick is – when you are in this place of despair, where the world is staring you down into yourself – there’s only one thing you can do to survive – hang on to who you are inside. The world will be unkind to you, it will not be able to see you. You must learn at such times, to be able to see yourself.

    2. For you have to remember – creativity is your gift to the world. It was never meant to be barter for anything, not even appreciation.

    Take care! :)
    - Silent admirer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words. I really needed to read those words today. I read the post on your blog as well. It is beautiful and very motivating. Yes, I will try to not give up writing and will be back soon. "Hang on to who you are inside." :) Thanks so much.

      Delete
  4. I'm a silent reader as well...for last 2 yrs when I was preparing for my postgraduate for medicine...neet pg , I was just sitting at home and studying...so I used to love reading your blog coz it felt like am watching the movie myself. Anyway got me medicine this year , first year so still haven't got much time...so reading your blog...have experienced all recent movies like gully boy through it...so please keep writing....we appreciate your words and thoughts 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Megha, for your kind words and reading them silently. I will try to keep writing :)

      Delete
  5. Hey Pankaj, Don't feel down. And please never ever think to stop writing! Ur writing, ur observation, inspire so many people like me. And next time, when u come back to India, please do let me know. I would love to meet u.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your motivating words. It makes me feel better. I would love to meet you as well :)

      Delete
  6. I am also an introvert like you. Faced the same issues and phase as you are going now. Don`t let this phase of life fade you away.
    I am a regular reader of your blogs. Sometimes I reply to your blogs and sometimes unable.
    Whatsoever, I love each and every writing of yours.
    Keep inspiring us.
    Quote for you....
    Don't go through life, grow through life. (Eric Butterworth).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Manish,

      Thanks so much for your words. Some days are low, some days are high. That is life. I will try not to let life impact me this much and come back stronger.

      Thanks so much for your encouragement as well. :)

      Delete
  7. Pankaj please share your email. I would like to say/write something to you
    Amir

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Pankaj, I don't know a single person I have met in 38 years of my life who has not gone through/ felt the same at some point in their life as you are feeling right now. Try to understand what actually is happiness for YOU, it's not just your career, your relatives or success. Try reading a lil bit of philosophy (Seneca/epicuruios),it will help you realize that life is not about big things. You have no clue how fortunate you are (all your readers are), you can't just see the joy which is spread all around you. Plus you have so many of your readers cum friends who are always there for you. Smile buddy :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Pratyaksh,

      Thank you for kind words. I count my blessings every day but sometimes, life makes us forget them. Thanks for reminding me. I can count on friends like you to help me whenever needed.
      Best wishes.
      Pankaj

      Delete
  9. Hello Pankaj,

    The world needs more introverts and your written contributions are evidence of the insight that introversion brings.

    I stumbled upon your blog from a hyperlink to your piece on Satrangi Re from Dil Se - a film I watched repeatedly over the course of around 15 years and thought 'no one knows this film better than me'. My arrogance was shot down very quickly when I read your brilliant piece which helped me view the song in a new way. Since then I have enjoyed your blog immensely and I sincerely hope you continue to write. I'm not gifted in the way you are but even if one person gets something out of this blog (and that one person might be you), it's worth it. And you never know, the few that are reading might be the filmmakers themselves hoping that at least one intelligent person out there spots the little gems they snuck in.

    I rarely comment on anything on the internet but I couldn't help myself upon reading your post.

    A dialogue of the day to keep you going: "Picture abhi baki hai mere dost"

    All the best
    Shama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Shama, for your motivation. Really touched by your grace in encouraging me. We all are gifted in some way or the other. So, please don't think otherwise. Thank you for reading. That is why I started writing to uncover hidden details because I felt our films are deeper than what people believe.
      I hope so, too. Picture abhi baki hai :)

      Delete
  10. Firstly, *Hugs You tightly* because You need it. Dosri baat yeh ke, Your work has touched so many hearts and always will so please keep writing. It heals to write, that is more than enough.

    Ab baat karte hain about this phase in life. Yes, it is just a phase. It's all part of growing up. And trust me, it is okay to not be okay. And always remember what was once quoted by Regina Brett "If we all threw our problems into a pile and saw everyone else's, we would grab ours back."
    #Ishallleavethishere

    Lastly, for a movie suggestion as mentioned, do watch Flipped (2010). I had watched it just last month and it topped my "Most Favourite Movies" list just in a few minutes into the movie. You would love it. And hope You find peace and love soon. InshaAllah!

    Sending Love, Light 'n Blessings Your way.
    Stay Safe Dost!
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, my friend. I really needed it. You have always been so encouraging and motivating. Your kindness is what keeps me going.
      Some days, life is up and on some, it is down. It is really hard to come out of the down but hopefully things will get better.
      I will definitely try to watch Flipped soon.

      Thanks so much again for your blessings.

      Pankaj

      Delete
  11. Hey Pankaj

    Just a quick note to let you know I really enjoy reading your posts and have recommended it to many many friends, especially the Satrangi Re post. Please keep at it. We belong to the band of silent admirers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Juhi, for your very kind words. It is words like these that make me keep going.

      Delete
  12. Well! I am also one of those silent readers of yours who comes back every few days to check if there are any new posts to read...I can totally resonate with the introvert for whom it's tough to juggle through everyday life. Also since we don't express so much outside we need a vent to show our feelings. Maybe this blog is like that to you. It actually could be your way of letting things out. I get so much of deja vu whenever I read your blog it's like someone just like you is putting out there as I am not so expressive Myself. So please don't stop writing as I love blogs but hardly get to read any these days as many are replacing blogs with Instagram and YouTube these days. There are no good blogs left to read. Okay I still have so much to say. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Veena,
      Thank you so much for your kind words. Yes, I know you keep coming and sometimes, comment. Yes, you are right. I started this blog solely to express my personal thoughts, but then I completely ventured into writing on films. To be honest, it is only through films that I have got to know so many wonderful readers such as yourself. The challenges of professional life make it hard to write a lot but I am trying to write. I will not try to give it up. Thanks, again, for your words.

      Delete
  13. Please don't stop writing..!! After reading your reviews I actually know the meaning of the movie that ke aisa bhi hota hai..!! I love the way you write dialogue of the day in the end of your review..!! So, pls keep reading the movies, kya pata kal ho naa ho..!! :)

    Dialouge of the the day
    "Insaan ko dibbe mein sirf tab hona chahiye, jab wo mar chuka ho.
    -Zindagi Naa Milegi Dobara

    Thank you
    Manish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Manish, for your kind words always.

      Delete

Post a comment